Software Developer - I,II, III, or SeniorNewport News, VA | Job ID 37487
- Job ID 37487
- Division Mining
- Organization Liebherr Mining Equipment Newport News Co.
- Area of employment Engineering
- Country United States
- Entry level Professionals
- Type of contract full time
- Date of entry 10/15/2021
The Software Developer works closely with Engineers, Designers and other Engineering personnel in the designing, writing, and debugging of software for embedded systems, components, and support tools used in large mining haul trucks. This position performs difficult assignments requiring considerable initiative, resourcefulness and design expertise and analyzes new and existing products to eliminate design issues in haul truck operation. Exercises independent judgment in selecting and interpreting data based on knowledge of design intent. Provides advice and guidance and works with other departments to provide engineering documentation and information. The Software Developer is responsible to ensure that products developed meet the required cost targets, technical specifications, that projects are completed within the projected timelines and be familiar with model based development tools.
- Software Developer 1:
- Works with other Engineers and software developers to create the algorithms, software and supporting documentation for mining haul trucks and their support tools.
- Works with Control Engineers to investigate, test, and select software toolsets or hardware components and peripherals (Programmable Logic Controllers, mobile computers, display/touch screens, etc)
- Works along with other Engineers to investigate and test vendors' products.
- Works independently and as a team member with other Engineers, designers, and production personnel or on ad hoc projects.
- Works along with other Engineers to design, install, test, analyze, and maintain the software required to control electrical products, equipment, and systems.
- Participates in Engineering Development Program.
- Software Developer 2:
- All duties of Software Developer 1 plus;
- Mentors Level 1 Software Developers
- Creates the algorithms, software, and supporting documentation necessary to control mining haul truck functions.
- Works along with other Engineers to research and analyze customer design proposals, specifications, manuals, and other data.
- Confers with Engineers and other personnel to implement operating procedures, resolve system malfunctions, and provide technical information.
- Software Developer 3:
- All duties of Software Developer 2 plus;
- Mentors Level 1 & 2 Software Developers
- System Matter Expert on processes, and operating procedures.
- Participate in Root Cause Analysis Investigations
- Interfaces with other groups (Mechanical, Hydraulic, etc.) to create specifications that define embedded system software requirements for mining haul truck functions or supporting tools/software.
- Creates the documentation necessary to describe the software design and architecture.
- Review and develop software lifecycle processes
- Works independently and as a team member with other Engineers, Designers, and production personnel or on ad hoc projects.
- Software Developer 4 (Senior):
- All duties of Software Developer 3 plus;
- Mentor & Lead Level 1, 2, & 3 Software Developers and other personnel.
- System Matter Expert on processes, operating procedures, microprocessors and technical operation of software control systems.
- Leads Root Cause Analysis investigations.
- Lead a team of junior engineers in an agile/scrum environment.
- Researches solutions to system software required to meet specifications.
- Analyses software tools necessary to perform validation and troubleshooting.
- Designs software architecture to ensure stable operating systems.
- Evaluates alternative software programming & configuration management tools and languages.
- Monitors contract engineering projects and reports on their progress.
- Estimates time and cost requirements for new development projects.
- Interfaces with other groups (Mechanical, Hydraulic, etc.) to create specifications that outline control system software necessary for haul truck functions.
- Education and Experience:
- Software Developer 2:
- Bachelor’s degree (BSEE/EET, BSCE, BSCS) with 3 years of programming experience in an engineering environment; or the equivalent combination of education and experience.Software Developer 3:
- Bachelor’s degree (BSEE/EET, BSCE, BSCS) with 6 years of programming experience in an engineering environment; or equivalent combination of education and experience.Software Developer 4 (Senior):
- Bachelor’s degree (BSEE/EET, BSCE, BSCS) with 10 years of programming experience in an engineering environment; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Software Developer 1 & 2:
- Embedded Developers: Knowledge of software programming tools such as CoDeSys or other embedded environments.
- Windows/Web Developers: Knowledge of Visual Studio, Team Foundation Server, or related toolsets.
- Knowledge of software configuration management tools (Git, SVN, etc.)
- Knowledge of Agile/Scrum and related support tools (JIRA)
- Knowledge of communication protocols (ex. RS232, CanOpen, J1939, etc.)
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance manuals, and procedure manuals, software specifications.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Software Developer 3 & 4 (Senior):
- All skills of Software Developer 1 & 2 plus;
- Experience with working in an Agile/Scrum environment.
- Knowledge of diagnostic tools necessary to verify software stability and function.
- Ability to write specifications that define & describe software function.
- Knowledge of project management tools (ex. Microsoft Project).
- Additional Requirements:
- Is expected to travel nationally and internationally up to 20% to customer or supplier sites.
- Ability to complete and maintain mine certifications or safety training such as Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) hazard training.
- Ability to obtain and maintain driver’s license and passport.
- This position is eligible for remote work.
An interesting and ambitious role in a successful international company. We offer a secure work environment with a comprehensive benefits package that includes major medical, dental and vision insurance, 401K plan with company match, paid vacation and personal days and competitive salary.
Have we awoken your interest? Then we look forward to receiving your online application. If you have any questions, please contact Sandra Draeger at: [email protected]
Liebherr is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Liebherr - One Passion. Many Opportunities.