Mechanical Engineer (R&D)Newport News | Job ID 10730
- Job ID 10730
- Division Mining
- Organization Liebherr Mining Equipment Newport News Co.
- Area of employment Research / development
- Country United States
- Entry level Professionals
- Type of contract full time
The Mechanical Engineer researches, develops, designs and tests mechanical components and systems for use in mining equipment.
- Specifies mechanical system, and/or engine system components, or directs modification of truck components to ensure conformance with engineering design and performance specifications.
- Confers with Engineers and other personnel to implement operating procedures, resolve system malfunctions, and provide technical information.
- Develops and oversees installation, testing, and maintenance procedures to ensure that mechanical system, and /or engine system components are installed and functioning according to specifications.
- Reads and interprets maintenance and operators manuals, blueprints, technical drawings, hydraulic schematics, pressure traces, and computer-generated reports.
- Investigates equipment failures and difficulties to diagnose faulty operation, and to make recommendations to maintenance crew.
- Assists Design Drafters in developing the mechanical design of products using drafting tools or Computer-Assisted Design (CAD) or drafting equipment and software.
- Works with suppliers to obtain component information and establish component specifications.
- Specifies type and size of equipment such as bearings, gear drives, engines, radiators, and air/hydraulic/fuel piping.
- The ideal candidate has a Bachelors degree (BSME/MET) with 5-10 years mechanical engineering experiece or equivalent combination of education and experience and can apply the following KSAs in the performance of the essential job duties:
- Component identification
- Machine design principles - bearings, gears, shafts, pinned joints, fans, pump, etc...
- General understanding of hydraulic schematics
- General understanding of electrical schematics
- Fabrication and weld design
- And is highly skilled with:
- Creo (Pro-E)
- Creo Simulate (Pro-E Mechanica)
- AutoCAD (desired but not a requirement)
- Additional Requirements:
- Is expected to travel nationally and internationally up to 20% to customer or supplier sites
- Ability to complete and maintain mine certifications or safety training such as Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) hazard training
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid driver's license and passport
An interesting and ambitious role in a successful international company. We offer a secure work environment with a comprehensive benefits package and competitive salary. We hire as soon as possible.