History of Liebherr-Werk Ehingen GmbH

Production hall for mobile cranes at the Ehingen plant in the 1970s

Production hall for mobile cranes at the Ehingen plant in the 1970s

Since it was founded in 1969, Liebherr-Werk Ehingen GmbH has developed into being the global market leader for mobile and crawler cranes. During the last 45 years the manufacturing plant and its capacities have therefore been continuously expanded. The company gives work today to a workforce of over 3,000 employees.

Milestones

1969: Liebherr-Werk Ehingen GmbH is founded and initially produces truck mounted and ship cranes.

1970: The plant receives its first major order: The Soviet state acquisition company Maschinoimport orders 50 telescopic cranes.

1976: 1,000 employees, 100 million euros sales – despite continuous investments the plant reaches its limits. Production of maritime cranes is handed over to the newly founded Liebherr plant in Nenzing.

1977: The LTM 1025, the first all-terrain mobile crane worldwide, is perfect for combined use on-road and off-road, and therefore sets new benchmarks.

1981: Liebherr in Ehingen receives a major order from the Soviet state acquisition company for the delivery of 333 telescopic mobile cranes with extra equipment for use at temperatures as low as minus 50°C.

1990: Liebherr beats strong international competitors and receives a major order from the German Federal Office of Defense Technology and Procurement for the delivery of 459 mobile cranes.

2008: Investments are pushed ahead and an area of 200,000 m² is bought. The company site is 850,000 m² today.

2012: The LR 13000 sets new benchmarks as the strongest conventional crawler crane in the world with a lifting capacity of 3,000 tons and lifting height of 245 meters.

History of the Group from the beginnings up to today