Manager - Autonomous HaulageNewport News, VA | Job ID 58101
- Job ID 58101
- Division Mining
- Organization Liebherr Mining Equipment Newport News Co.
- Area of employment Engineering
- Country United States
- Entry level Professionals
- Type of contract full time
- Date of entry 8/5/2022
The Manager Autonomous Haulage leads and manages the engineering team responsible for the development of autonomous haulage solutions. The Manager Autonomous Haulage is responsible to ensure that products developed meet the required cost targets, technical specifications and, that projects are completed within the projected timelines. The Manager Autonomous Haulage must work with cross-functional teams and departments involving core team members for important project decisions and actions. The company policies and procedures must be rigorously applied.
- Manages development projects related to autonomous haulage.
- Defines and evaluates system architecture for autonomous systems.
- Develops project plans; coordinates projects; communicates changes and progress; completes projects on time and within budget.
- Writes and approves specifications for hardware and software related to autonomous systems.
- Scopes projects related to autonomous haulage.
- Participates in the creation of development contracts.
- Manages large external development projects (>$500k).
- Ensures autonomous related software development process compliance to standards.
- Ensures software requirement management processes are defined, utilized, effective and compliant.
- Plans and schedules project tasks and resources.
- Delegates tasks and responsibilities to appropriate personnel.
- Coordinates and aligns team activities including that of the technical leads.
- Responsible for budgeting and control of 3HB cost center.
- Interfaces with Product Engineering for the transfer and integration of autonomous systems to products.
- Interfaces with the Test Group to ensure proper validation of autonomous systems.
- Meets with customers to gather requirements and support sales of autonomous systems.
- Works independently and as a team member with other engineers, designers, and production personnel or on ad hoc projects.
- Participates in Engineering Development Program.
- Directly supervises the autonomy development team including three technical leads.
- Responsible for the overall direction, coordination and evaluation of the autonomy team.
- Indirectly supervises and/or provides direction to testing resources assigned to the autonomy project.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning; assigning and directing work, appraising performance, rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
A Master Science Degree or Master of Engineering Degree (M.S. / M.E.) with 4 years of engineering experience or a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) Degree in Computer Science, Computer, Mechanical, or Electrical Engineering with 8 years of experience in an engineering role combined with 5 years mining truck, heavy equipment, construction equipment or off-road vehicle experience and 2 years autonomous system development; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. The candidate should have 2 years of experience in directly managing technical people.
- Knowledge of autonomous system technology principles including but not limited to perception, planning, vehicle control, mapping, and centralized support systems such as traffic management and fleet management.
- Knowledge of real-time embedded systems.
- Knowledge of model based design and software development (e.g. Simulink).
- Knowledge of communication protocols (e.g. CanOpen, J1939, DDS).
- Knowledge of wireless telemetry as applied in the surface mining environment.
- Knowledge of hardware and computing platforms suitable for autonomy and truck control.
- Knowledge of application lifecycle management tools (e.g. DOORS, PTC Integrity, TFS).
- Knowledge of Functional Safety methodology (e.g. IEC-61508, etc.).
- Knowledge of Risk Assessment and Failure Mode Analysis (FMEA).
- Knowledge of mining truck systems and requirements.
- Knowledge of validation requirements and methods for autonomous systems.
- Ability to write specifications that describe software function.
- Ability to accurately scope technical projects.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance manuals, and procedure manuals, software specifications.
- Knowledge of Agile and Waterfall software development lifecycles and V-model methodology and their required workflows and tools.
- Knowledge of and ability to use project management tools.
Salary Range: $109,799.00 - $154,192.00
An interesting and ambitious role in a successful international company. We offer a secure work environment with a comprehensive benefits package that includes major medical, dental and vision insurance, 401K plan with company match, paid vacation and personal days and competitive salary.
Referral Bonus: Tier I
Have we awoken your interest? Then we look forward to receiving your online application. If you have any questions, please contact Melissa Silva at: [email protected]
Liebherr is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
One Passion. Many Opportunities.