Electrical Engineer I, II, III or IV (Senior)Newport News, VA | Job ID 38125
- Job ID 38125
- Division Mining
- Organization Liebherr Mining Equipment Newport News Co.
- Area of employment Engineering
- Country United States
- Entry level Professionals
- Type of contract full time
- Date of entry 04/192023
The Electrical Engineer (EE) researches, develops, designs and tests electrical components and systems for use in mining equipment. In addition to the technical aspects, the engineer also effectively communicates and collaborates with a wide variety of other positions in the performance of the job.
- Electrical Engineer 1:
- Assists engineers with researching electrical/electronic components & systems for use in production, or replacing obsolete field parts.
- Works with Engineers and assists Designer/Drafters in developing the electrical design of products using drafting tools or Computer-Assisted Design (CAD) or other software.
- Assists in maintaining and/or creating electrical schematics.
- Creates technical instructions for field modifications or testing requests.
- Works with the production line assemblers to assure issue free assemblies.
- Manipulates engineering BOM and data in the MRP system and EDM systems.
- Works independently and as a team member with other Engineers, Designers, and production personnel on ad hoc projects.
- Researches, designs, installs, tests, analyzes, and maintains electrical products, equipment, systems and processes to meet requirements, applying knowledge of engineering principles under the direction of other engineers.
- Interacts with vendors and internal customers to collaborate on projects and tasks.
- Electrical Engineer 2:
- All duties of EE1, plus:
- Works with Engineers to review customer design proposals, specifications, manuals, and other data to evaluate the feasibility, cost, and maintenance requirements of designs or applications.
- Confers with engineers and other personnel to implement operating procedures, resolve system malfunctions, and provide technical information.
- Investigate equipment failures and diagnose faulty operation, and to make recommendations that will efficiently resolve the issues.
- Actively works with and understands electrical schematics, wiring diagrams, wire tables and technical manuals. Makes revision recommendations as required.
- Researches, investigates and tests vendor products.
- Provides input to designers/drafters in developing electrical design.
- Develops and oversees installation, testing, and maintenance procedures to ensure adherence to specs.
- Proposes technical mods to solve issues.
- Creates and maintains electrical schematics using electrical CAD software, under the direction of manager or team lead.
- Evaluates design change requests for validity and feasibility and manages designers in the execution of the requests.
- Electrical Engineer 3:
- All duties of EE2, plus:
- Proactively sets work schedules & tracks performance.
- Communicates effectively with other cross functional team members any changes in project status.
- Maintains department work standards and work instructions.
- Researches industry standards to stay abreast of latest applicable requirements. Performs GAP analysis on standards.
- Compiles Work Breakdown Structures and manages tasks.
- Leads DFMEA’s.
- Ensures release packages of department comply with quality and technical content standards.
- Be well versed in overall haul truck architecture and all system interactions.
- Well versed and able to create and modify logic specifications for new and existing functions and features.
- Electrical Engineer 4 (Senior):
- All duties of EE3, plus:
- Trains, mentors, and develops Engineers and other personnel on operating procedures, resolving system malfunctions, and provides technical information.
- Reviews work output of other engineers to assure they meet design intent and system protocol standards. Assures technical documentation from team is clear and informative for internal customers and for easy future understanding.
- Researches and analyzes customer design proposals, specifications, manuals, and other data to evaluate the feasibility, cost, and maintenance requirements of designs or applications.
- Reviews and approves design of electrical system components or direct modification of truck components to ensure conformance with engineering design and performance specifications.
- Proactively looks at strategic direction of the designs to assure that they all meet cost targets, industry standards, and are as efficient and reliable as possible.
- Helps to make decisions that impact the direction of the department and align with company goals, assures that other employees in the department are meeting objectives.
- Proactively takes responsibility for managing all big picture project tasks and openly communicating results.
- Electrical Engineer 1: A Master of Science Degree (MS) or, a Bachelor of Science Degree (BSEE/EET) or, Associate of Science Degree (ASEE) with 10 years of relevant electrical experience in an engineering environment.
- Electrical Engineer 2: A Master of Science Degree (MS) with 1 years of relevant electrical experience in an engineering environment or, a Bachelor of Science Degree (BSEE/EET) with 2 years of relevant electrical experience in an engineering environment.
- Electrical Engineer 3: A Master of Science Degree (MS) with 4 to 6 years of relevant electrical experience in an engineering environment or, a Bachelor of Science Degree (BSEE/EET) with 6 to 8 years of relevant electrical experience in an engineering environment.
- Electrical Engineer 4 (Senior): A Master of Science Degree (MS) with 6 to 8 years of relevant electrical experience in an engineering environment or, a Bachelor of Science Degree (BSEE/EET) with 8 to 10 years of relevant electrical experience in an engineering environment.
Electrical Engineer 1:
- Familiarization with and working Knowledge of drafting tools or CAD and applicable software.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as technical manuals, spec sheets, safety rules, operating and maintenance manuals, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to apply basic electrical equations to circuit analysis, such as voltage drop calcs.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Learn and become proficient in the most recent required department and company procedures, software and systems.
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Become familiar and comfortable with reading, understanding and drawing electrical schematics that meet department standards.
- Proficient in MS office products such as Excel and Word.
- Ability to communicate efficiently and effective with ease to a large cross-functional audience.
Electrical Engineer 2:
- Demonstrated proficiency of Electrical Engineer 1, plus:
- Proficient in the latest schematic drawing software.
- Ability to analyze detailed costs of assemblies and make cost reduction design recommendations.
- Ability and willingness to initiate technical discussions with internal and external groups.
- Basic knowledge of haul truck operation along with real world mine experience.
- Proficient at technical writing. Able to communicate clear, concise work instructions with minimal text.
- Ability and skill to take feedback and data to troubleshoot a technical problem.
- Developed skill for making decisions that consider the bigger picture.
- Ability to put information together for design reviews
Electrical Engineer 3:
- Demonstrated proficiency of Electrical Engineer 2, plus:
- Possess skill in planning, managing, and directing resources and projects and in reporting project status to a cross functional audience.
- Show ability to adequately respond to inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Proven ability to perform root cause analysis.
- Ability to guide and lead personnel within temporary projects.
- Ability to initiate and execute projects without prior subject experience and with minimal guidance.
- Be able to utilize MS Project to plan and communicate projects.
- Ability to lead design reviews and present information in a professional manner.
Electrical Engineer 4 (Senior):
- Demonstrated proficiency of Electrical Engineer 3, plus:
- Proven track record of leading others in technical direction.
- Function as subject matter expert in area of electrical.
- Is expected to travel nationally and internationally up to 20% to customer or supplier sites.
- Ability to complete and maintain mine certifications or safety training such as Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) hazard training.
- Ability to maintain a valid driver’s license and passport.
An interesting and ambitious role in a successful international company. We offer a secure work environment with a comprehensive benefits package that includes major medical, dental and vision insurance, 401K plan with company match, paid vacation and personal days and competitive salary.
Referral Bonus: Tier II
Have we awoken your interest? Then we look forward to receiving your online application. If you have any questions, please contact Nicole Alden at: [email protected]
Liebherr is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Liebherr - One Passion. Many Opportunities.