Manager Systems EngineeringNewport News, VA | Job ID 36205
- Job ID 36205
- Division Mining
- Organization Liebherr Mining Equipment Newport News Co.
- Area of employment Engineering
- Country United States
- Entry level Professionals
- Type of contract full time
- Date of entry 9/24/2021
The System Engineering Manager is responsible for the research and development of the overall architecture of hydraulic, electrical, and drive related systems of 100t + off-highway mining trucks. They have the responsibility for the group that researches and analyzes state of the art technologies and current system performance to propose and develop system specifications and schematics. The group is responsible for developing logic specifications which define software behavior and requirements. The group supports the implementation and testing of electrical, electromechanical, hydraulic, and drive systems. The System Engineering Manager is responsible to ensure that products developed meet the required cost targets, technical specifications, and that projects are completed within the projected timelines. The System Engineering Manager must work with cross-functional teams and departments involving core team members for important project decisions and actions. The company policies and procedures must be rigorously applied
- Designs systems and controls; specifies equipment and components for systems, which include, but are not limited to low and high voltage electrical, hydraulic, and the various supporting subsystems.
- Designs, develops, and evaluates logic specifications to support software development for control systems on mining equipment.
- Creates and maintains specifications for truck components for use on new and existing mining equipment.
- Researches and analyzes data such as customer design proposals, truck performance data, specifications, and manuals to determine feasibility of design or application.
- Develops project plans; coordinates projects; communicates changes and progress; completes projects on time and within budget.
- Directs engineering personnel in the design or fabrication of test control apparatus and equipment, and determines methods, procedures, and conditions for testing products.
- Develops applications of controls, instruments, and systems for new products and improvement of existing products.
- Manages and/or conducts field testing for optimization of control.
- Interfaces with other groups/disciplines to create specifications that outline control system software necessary for haul truck functions.
- Works with Production Engineers to specify proper control components (PLC’s, mobile computers, HMI, and other associated hardware).
- Uses computer assisted engineering and design software and equipment to perform engineering tasks.
- Works independently and as a team member with other engineers, designers, and production personnel or on ad hoc projects.
- Forecasts department operating costs and contribute to the preparation of the budget.
- Participates in Engineering Development Program.
- Supervisory Duties:
- Directly supervises employees in the Systems Engineering Group.
- Responsible for the overall direction, coordination and evaluation of Structural Design team.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include: interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work, appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Education and Experience:A Master Science Degree or Master of Engineering Degree (M.S./ M.E.) with 4 years of engineering experience or, a Bachelor’s Science (B.S.) degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or related engineering discipline with a minimum of 10 years working experience in the design and development of heavy industrial equipment. The candidate should have 2 years of experience in directly managing technical people.
- Knowledge of all major truck systems and the interaction between systems, including drive systems, control systems, hydraulic systems, and mechanical systems.
- Knowledge of electric drive systems as applied to mining equipment, in particular to the application of diesel-electric haul trucks.
- Knowledge of Matlab and Simulink with the ability to use these tools to simulate and evaluate existing or proposed electrical, mechanical, and electromechanical system behavior.
- Knowledge of Matlab and Simulink with the ability to use these tools to process and analyze field data to evaluate and report out on individual system and overall truck performance.
- Working knowledge of functional safety principles for machines.
- Ability to read and write electrical and hydraulic schematics.
- Knowledge of the design, specification, and utilization of PLC control on mobile equipment.
- Working knowledge of communication networks and vehicle communication bus architecture.
- Knowledge of communication protocols (ex. RS232, CanOpen, J1939, etc.).
- Ability to write specifications that describe software function.
- Knowledge of database software; E3 schematic software or equivalent; Microsoft Project Management software; and MS Office software.
- Knowledge of MRP software as it relates to product Bill of Material (BOM) structure and inventory control.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures / manuals, schematics, part drawings, assembly drawings, component / system specifications and governmental regulations.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts such as exponents, logarithms, quadratic equations, and permutations.
- Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory, and factor analysis.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Ability to maintain discretion.
- Additional Requirements:
- Travel domestically and internationally up to 20% of the time.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid driver license and passport.
- Ability to maintain Mine Safety & Health Administration (MSHA) certification.
An interesting and ambitious role in a successful international company. We offer a secure work environment with a comprehensive benefits package that includes major medical, dental and vision insurance, 401K plan with company match, paid vacation and personal days and competitive salary.
Have we awoken your interest? Then we look forward to receiving your online application. If you have any questions, please contact Sandra Draeger at: [email protected]
Liebherr is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Liebherr - One Passion. Many Opportunities.