Technical Lead - Central Control & Support SystemsNewport News, VA | Job ID 15669
- Job ID 15669
- Division Mining
- Organization Liebherr Mining Equipment Newport News Co.
- Area of employment Research / development
- Country United States
- Entry level Professionals
- Type of contract full time
The Technical Lead - Central Control and Support Systems manages and conducts development work associated with software and hardware designs used to control autonomous large mining haul trucks. Additionally, they are responsible for the integration of control and support systems with truck onboard systems.
- Directs, manages, and participates in the development of Control and Support Systems as they relate to autonomous large mining haul trucks.
- Researches solutions to control and support systems used in autonomous haulage.
- Develops project plans and associated project documents.
- Writes specifications for software development and integration into 3rd party communication interfaces.
- Define GUI requirements for control and support systems
- Participates in the creation of development contracts.
- Manages large capital (>$500k) development projects.
- Delegates tasks and responsibilities to appropriate personnel.
- Identify and resolve issues and conflicts with the project team and/or plan.
- Identify and manage project dependencies and critical path.
- Estimates time and cost requirements.
- Plan and schedule project timelines and milestones using appropriate tools.
- Track project milestones and deliverables.
- Participates in the creation of software validation plan.
- Works independently and as a team member with other engineers, designers, and production personnel or on ad hoc projects.
- Researches and analyzes customer design proposals, specifications, manuals, and other data.
- Confers with Engineers and other personnel to implement operating procedures, resolve system malfunctions, and provide technical information.
- Participates in Engineering Development Program.
- Bachelor’s degree (BSEE, BSComputerE,BSME, or BSMechatronic Engineering) with eight years of experience in an engineering environment; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of autonomous system aspects
- Knowledge of fleet management systems used in mining
- Knowledge of software development standards/compliance
- Knowledge of GUI development
- Knowledge of real-time embedded systems
- Knowledge of software programming tools (ex. Linux, CoDeSys, C++, etc.).
- Knowledge of communication protocols (ex. RS232, CanOpen, J1939, etc.).
- Knowledge of wireless telemetry as applied in the surface mining environment
- Knowledge of hardware and computing platforms
- Knowledge of Project Management tools (ex. Microsoft Project).
- Ability to accurately scope technical projects
- Ability to write specifications that detail functionality
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance manuals, and procedure manuals, software specifications.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as algebra, probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry.
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Is expected to travel nationally and internationally up to 30% to customer or supplier sites.
- Ability to complete and maintain mine certifications or safety training such as Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) hazard training.
- Ability to obtain and maintain driver’s license and passport.
An interesting and ambitious role in a successful international company. We offer a secure work environment with a comprehensive benefits package and competitive salary. We hire as soon as possible.