Hydraulic Engineer (Level III or Senior)Newport News | Job ID 15205
- Job ID 15205
- Division Mining
- Organization Liebherr Mining Equipment Newport News Co.
- Area of employment Research / development
- Country United States
- Entry level Professionals
- Type of contract full time
The Hydraulic Engineer III & Senior Hydraulic Engineer researches, develops, designs and tests hydraulic components and systems for use in mining equipment.
- Specifies hydraulic system components or directs modification of truck components to ensure conformance with engineering design and performance specifications.
- Confers with Engineers and other personnel to implement operating procedures, resolve system malfunctions, and provide technical information.
- Develops and oversees installation, testing, and maintenance procedures to ensure that hydraulic system components are installed and functioning according to specifications.
- Reads and interprets maintenance and operators manuals, blueprints, technical drawings, hydraulics schematics, pressure traces, and computer-generated reports.
- Investigates equipment failures and difficulties to diagnose faulty operation and to make recommendations to maintenance crew.
- Assists Design Drafters in developing the hydraulic design of products using drafting tools or Computer-Assisted Design (CAD) or drafting equipment and software.
- Works with suppliers to obtain component information and establish component specifications.
- Specifies type and size of equipment such as fittings, line sizes, pumps, control valves, and hydraulic tanks.
- Researches, designs, installs, tests, analyzes, and maintains hydraulic products, equipment, systems and processes to meet requirements.
- Works independently and as a team member with other Engineers, Designers, and production personnel or on ad hoc projects.
- Creates new and improved hydraulic circuits in Hydraulics Simulation Software.
- Researches and analyzes customer design proposals, specifications, manuals, and other data to evaluate the feasibility, cost, and maintenance requirements of designs or applications.
- Builds laboratory models to study construction and flow problems.
- Provides feedback to other Engineers on customer problems and needs related to hydraulics.
- Collaborates with Engineers from other disciplines to integrate hydraulic components and systems into mining equipment.
- Computes and estimates rates of flow velocities, cylinder speeds, steering system calculations, pump inlet conditions, and hydraulic reservoir design.
- Senior Level (In addition to what is listed above):
- Trains, mentors, and develops Engineers and other personnel on operating procedures, resolve system malfunctions, and provides technical information.
- Reviews and approves design of hydraulic system components or direct modification of truck components to ensure conformance with engineering design and performance specifications.
Level III: Bachelors degree (BSME/MET) with four years Pro-E experience and four years hydraulics experience; AS in engineering related field with four years Pro-E experience and six years hydraulics experience; or four years Pro-E experience and ten years hydraulics experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.Senior: Bachelors degree (BSME/MET) with six years Pro-E experience and six years hydraulics experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of technical fundamentals of hydraulic engineering.
- Knowledge of Pro-E, drafting tools, CAD or drafting equipment and software.
- Knowledge of Hydraulics Simulation Software (Automation Studio) and multidimensional tools.
- Knowledge of financial data and costing procedures.
- Knowledge of BaaN system as it relates to truck Bill Of Material (BOM) structure and inventory control.
- Skill in planning, managing, and directing resources and managing projects.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as algebra, probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry.
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office.
- Is expected to travel nationally and internationally up to 20% to customer or supplier sites.
- Ability to complete and maintain mine certifications or safety training such as Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) hazard training.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid driver’s license and passport.
An interesting and ambitious role in a successful international company. We offer a secure work environment with a comprehensive benefits package that includes major medical, dental and vision insurance, 401K plan with company match, paid vacation and personal days and competitive salary. We hire as soon as possible. Applications are only accepted via the online-portalwww.liebherr.com.