Systems Engineer I - III (Autonomy)Newport News | Job ID 14654
- Job ID 14654
- Division Mining
- Organization Liebherr Mining Equipment Newport News Co.
- Area of employment Research / development
- Country United States
- Entry level Professionals
- Type of contract full time
The Systems Engineer – Autonomy researches, develops, designs and validates mechanical, electrical, and hydraulic hardware and associated control logic for use in large autonomous mining haul trucks.
- Develops mechanical, electrical, hydraulic, and electro-mechanical systems for use on large autonomous mining haul trucks
- Performs system calculations and/or simulations
- Creates schematic representations of mechanical, electrical, hydraulic, and electro mechanical systems
- Interfaces with other disciplines (Mechanical, Hydraulic, Electrical, etc.) to create specifications/requirements that outline control system logic necessary for haul truck functions
- Writes software and/or uses model based design techniques to develop software modules
- Develops detailed test requests to initiate both component and system level testing and validation
- Works independently and as a team member with other engineers, designers, and production personnel or on ad hoc projects
- Participates in the Engineering Development Program
Bachelor’s degree (BSME, BSEE, BS Mechatronics Engineer, BS CompE) with two years of system engineering experience in an engineering environment; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to mathematically model mechanical, hydraulic, and basic electrical systems
- Ability to create schematics depicting system operation and design
- Ability to learn and apply system modeling techniques using Matlab/Simulink
- Ability to review and post process machine data logs to develop future system operational parameters using Matlab or similar high performance language for technical computing
- Ability to learn programming languages and/or model based code development
- Ability to write specifications and requirements that describe system function and logic
- Ability to apply basic electrical equations to circuit analysis
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as algebra, probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry
- Ability to install and modify basic control system wiring
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations
- Is expected to travel nationally and internationally up to 30% to customer or supplier sites.
- Ability to complete and maintain mine certifications or safety training such as Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) hazard training.
- Ability to obtain and maintain driver’s license and passport.
An interesting and ambitious role in a successful international company. We offer a secure work environment with a comprehensive benefits package and competitive salary. We hire as soon as possible.