General Manager, Information TechnologyNewport News | Job ID 13171
- Job ID 13171
- Division Mining
- Organization Liebherr Mining Equipment Newport News Co.
- Area of employment Information technology
- Country United States
- Entry level Management positions
- Type of contract full time
- Date of entry 11/29/2018
The General Manager, Information Technology, will oversee the development, implementation, and use of technology throughout the company, working closely with management staff to assess and address infrastructure, users and organizational needs. Areas of responsibility include the full range of information systems including determining user requirements, recommending practical solutions, and leading firm-wide efforts to improve the effective use of technology and improvement of business processes. This position reports to the Executive Vice President, Finance & Administration, and manages the IT department. Other principal working relationships include LME and other Liebherr affiliate Executive and General Management staff, corporate IT staff, all system users, including vendors and consultants.
- Works with peers to make operational decisions to improve the performance of the Company.
- Plans, organizes, directs, and controls activities and personnel related to the IT functions within the department and with other departments in the organization.
- Gives direction and guidance to management and staff on policies, regulations, and procedures through managing the IT systems and procedures.
- Manage the budgeting, deployment, monitoring, maintenance, development, upgrade, and support of all IT systems, including network, servers, PCs, operating systems, software applications, and peripherals.
- Provide expertise and support during systems upgrades, installations, migration and data maintenance.
- Oversee systems development and enhancement and the integration of new systems with existing systems.
- Work with Division and company staff to develop strategies and plans to enhance client services, improve user effectiveness, and foster innovation.
- Manage Division and company specific strategic projects related to ERP, organizational or process changes or IT expansions.
- Develop the IT department and staff to meet the changing needs of users, groups and branches; support new projects and technologies utilizing varying staff strengths.
- Develop training programs, standard operating procedures and best practices, including providing written protocols and guidance to IT staff and to end-users.
- Ensure the creation and maintenance of all written documentation, including system and user manuals, license agreements, and documentation of modifications and upgrades.
- Oversee provision of end-user services, including help desk and technical support services.
- Keep current with the latest technologies and determine what new technology solutions and implementations will meet business and strategy requirements.
- Manage financial aspects of the IT Department, including purchasing, budgeting, and budget review.
- Develop and implement all IT policies and procedures, including those for architecture, security, disaster recovery, standards, purchasing, and service provision.
- Monitors and supervises management of servers, IT security, network hardware and equipment, telecommunications infrastructure and development plans, infrastructure projects, policies and procedures.
- Negotiate and administer vendor, outsourcing, and consultant contracts and service agreements in collaboration with corporate IT and the Senior Manager IT.
- Monitors harmonization of Business processes, IT Systems and administration work with Corporate IT General Managers.
- Promotes Corporate and group solutions rather than local customized solutions.
- Directly supervises 5+ employees including the Senior Manager Information technology as well as indirectly supervises 8+ employees in the IT department.
- Responsible for the overall direction, coordination and evaluation of team.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work, manage employee performance through appraisals and feedback; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Works with Corporate IT General Managers to implement IT projects as directed.
- Master’s degree in Information Technology/Business/Engineering with 6 years of relevant experience; or equivalent combination of relevant education and experience equivalent to 8 or more years.
- Travel domestically and internationally up to 25% of the time.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid driver license and passport.
- Extensive knowledge of business processes in a logistics and manufacturing environment.
- Proven Project Management skills.
- Financial Acumen
- Extensive and broad based experience in computer operations, networking, telecommunications, information technology management/administration, applications and system development within a substantial Information Technology environment, document control, Pro E- management, Product Life Management, Warehouse Management System and Enterprise Resource Planning (i.e. BaaN and LN).
- Experience in planning and managing large software development projects and managing in-house resources and contracted services.
- Knowledge of current enterprise server hardware, operating systems, development tools, security systems, data center and distributed operations.
- Knowledge of the Internet and the development of web application and cloud solutions.
- Knowledge of computer operations, networking and telecommunications.
- Knowledge of Information Technology management and administration. Knowledge of server and PC applications including word processing, spreadsheets, database management and business Intelligence, presentation software, and document control.
- Knowledge of IT virtual Technologies and new technologies.
- Sequences concepts logically; clarifies complex information; gains understanding of complex material; explains in a manner that makes technical information understandable to non-technical individuals.
- Bilingual in German or French is preferred, but not required.
An interesting and ambitious role in a successful international company. We offer a secure work environment with a comprehensive benefits package that includes major medical, dental and vision insurance, 401K plan with company match, paid vacation and personal days and competitive salary.