Liebherr-Africa (Pty) Ltd was founded in 1958 in the South African city of Springs as one of the first Liebherr companies outside of Germany. In the 1960s the new location had the purpose of bridging the very expensive transport routes from Europe to Africa. In addition to South Africa itself, the neighbouring countries were also to be supplied.
In the beginning, Liebherr-Africa (Pty) Ltd was responsible for the manufacture and sale of tower cranes, specialized cranes and concrete mixers. Today, the company sells and supports construction machines as well as mining and material handling equipment for the Group.