Manager Structural DesignNewport News, VA | Job ID 30361
- Job ID 30361
- Division Mining
- Organization Liebherr Mining Equipment Newport News Co.
- Area of employment Engineering
- Country United States
- Entry level Professionals
- Type of contract full time
- Date of entry 6/17/2021
The Manager Structural Design leads the group and participates in the research, plan, and design of structural products and systems, and directs and coordinates activities involved in fabrication, application, installation, and repair of structural products and systems. The Manager Structural Design is responsible to ensure that products developed meet the required cost targets, technical specifications, and, that projects are completed within the projected timelines. The Manager Structural Design must work with cross-functional teams and departments involving core team members for important project decisions and actions. The company policies and procedures must be rigorously applied.
- Designs products and systems, which include, but not limited to welded fabrications, castings, and machined parts.
- Develops project plans; coordinates projects; communicates changes and progress; completes projects on time and within budget.
- Researches and analyzes data such as customer design proposal, specifications, and manuals to determine feasibility of design or application.
- Supports fabrication and installation activities to ensure products and systems conform to engineering design and customer specifications.
- Supports operation, maintenance, and repair activities to obtain optimum utilization of machines and equipment.
- Evaluates field installations and recommends design modifications to eliminate machine or system malfunctions.
- Works independently and as a team member with other Group Managers, Engineers, Designers, and production personnel or on ad hoc projects.
- Forecast department operating costs and contributes to the preparation of the budget.
- Supervisory Duties:
- Directly supervises 4 to 6 employees
- Responsible for the overall direction, coordination and evaluation of Structural Design team.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include: interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work, appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Education and Experience:A Master Science Degree or Master of Engineering Degree (M.S./ M.E.) with 4 years of engineering experience or, a Bachelor’s Science (B.S.) degree in Mechanical or Structural Engineering with a minimum of 10 years working experience in the design and development of heavy industrial equipment. The candidate should have 2 years of experience in directly managing technical people.
- Knowledge of structural design engineering.
- Knowledge of finite element analysis and material properties.
- Knowledge of Database software; AutoCAD, Pro-engineer Design software; Microsoft Project, and MS Office software.
- Knowledge of BaaN system as it relates to truck Bill Of Material (BOM) structure and inventory control.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, part drawings, assemble drawings, schematics, component/system specifications or governmental regulations.
- Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts such as exponents, logarithms, quadratic equations, and permutations.
- Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory, and factor analysis.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Ability to maintain discretion
- Additional Requirements:
- Travel domestically and internationally up to 20% of the time.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid driver license and passport.
- Ability to maintain Mine Safety & Health Administration (MSHA) certification
An interesting and ambitious role in a successful international company. We offer a secure work environment with a comprehensive benefits package that includes major medical, dental and vision insurance, 401K plan with company match, paid vacation and personal days and competitive salary.
Have we awoken your interest? Then we look forward to receiving your online application. If you have any questions, please contact Sandra Draeger at: [email protected]
Liebherr is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Liebherr - One Passion. Many Opportunities.