Technical Lead - Perception / On-Board Planning SystemsNewport News, VA | Job ID 18911
- Job ID 18911
- Division Mining
- Organization Liebherr Mining Equipment Newport News Co.
- Area of employment Research / development
- Country United States
- Entry level Professionals
- Type of contract full time
The Technical Lead - Perception / Onboard Planning Systems manages and conducts development work associated with perception technology and planning algorithms related to autonomous large mining haul trucks. Additionally, they are responsible for the integration of this technology into the supporting hardware and software.
- Directs, manages, and participates in the development of perception and planning systems/algorithms as they relate to autonomous large mining haul trucks
- Researches solutions to onboard systems to support autonomous large mining haul trucks
- Develops project plans and associated project documents
- Evaluates system architecture(s) and supporting electrical, electro-mechanical, and hydraulic components
- Writes specifications for hardware and software development including algorithm definition
- Participates in the creation of development contracts
- Manages large capital (>$500k) development projects
- Delegates tasks and responsibilities to appropriate personnel
- Identify and resolve issues and conflicts with the project team and/or plan
- Identify and manage project dependencies and critical path
- Estimates time and cost requirements
- Plan and schedule project timelines and milestones using appropriate tools.
- Track project milestones and deliverables.
- Works independently and as a team member with other engineers, designers, and production personnel or on ad hoc projects.
- Researches and analyzes customer design proposals, specifications, manuals, and other data.
- Confers with Engineers and other personnel to implement operating procedures, resolve system malfunctions, and provide technical information.
- Participates in Engineering Development Program.
- Bachelor’s degree (BSEE, BSComputerE,BSME, or BSMechatronic Engineering) with eight years of experience in an engineering environment; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of autonomous system technology principles including perception, pose, and self-localization/mapping
- Knowledge of real-time embedded systems
- Knowledge of open source development tools (e.g. ROS)
- Knowledge of software programming tools (ex. Linux, CoDeSys, C++, etc.).
- Knowledge of communication protocols (ex. RS232, CanOpen, J1939, etc.).
- Knowledge of wireless telemetry as applied in the surface mining environment
- Knowledge of hardware and computing platforms
- Knowledge of system modeling techniques and software (ex. Matlab,Simulink)
- Knowledge of Project Management tools (ex. Microsoft Project).
- Ability to specify perception sensors to meet environment and performance requirements
- Ability to accurately scope technical projects
- Ability to write specifications that detail functionality
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance manuals, and procedure manuals, software specifications.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as algebra, probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry.
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Is expected to travel nationally and internationally up to 30% to customer or supplier sites.
- Ability to complete and maintain mine certifications or safety training such as Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) hazard training.
- Ability to obtain and maintain driver’s license and passport.
An interesting and ambitious role in a successful international company. We offer a secure work environment with a comprehensive benefits package and competitive salary. We hire as soon as possible.