External Logistics Operations SupervisorNewport News, VA | Job ID 26699
- Job ID 26699
- Division Mining
- Organization Liebherr Mining Equipment Newport News Co.
- Area of employment Logistics
- Country United States
- Entry level Professionals
- Type of contract full time
- Date of entry 26/1/2021
The role of the External Logistics Operations Supervisor will be responsible for Operations, and reports to the General Manager, External Logistics. The role includes the overall management, control and direction of Inbound and Outbound distribution operations of parts and components, and will work to continuously improve the functionality and level of service that the factory provides to our customers, resulting in exceeded productivity goals and the delivery to our customer promises.
The External Logistics Operations Supervisor supervises the team of Logistics Coordinators and coordinates all necessary actions as benchmarks, studies of new logistics routes with the External Logistics Specialists.
The employee will also function as a liaison with other departments involved in the supply chain immediately before and after External Logistics responsibilities (i.e.: Warehouse Logistics, Parts, Sales and Customer Support departments). Employee will coordinate with these departments to ensure efficient and optimal deliveries from supplying places to final destinations by applying the agreed terms and conditions.
- Directly supervises the two External Logistics Coordinators in the External Logistics Department.
- Responsible for the overall direction, coordination and evaluation of the employees.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work, appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Review or update supply chain practices in accordance with new or changing environmental policies, standards, regulations, or laws.
- Study transportation routes to maximize economy by combining shipments or consolidating warehousing and distribution.
- Diagram supply chain models to help facilitate discussions with customers.
- Negotiate prices and terms with service providers such as freight forwarders, integrators, carriers, logistics partners in accordance of global and divisional policies.
- Monitor logistics service provider’s performance to assess ability to meet quality and delivery requirements.
- Meet with service providers to discuss performance metrics, to provide performance feedback.
- Collaborate with other departments, such as warehouse logistics, purchasing, and customer support to continuously improve the supply chain and distribution systems.
- Supports other functions within the facility, including cross-functional team representation during planning, loading and transportation.
- Analyze information about service provider performance or logistics program success.
- Evaluate and select information or other technology solutions to improve tracking and reporting of materials or products distribution.
- Provides departmental input to the General Manager, External Logistics and External Logistics Specialists for development of operating plans for transportation operations in support of organizational goals.
- Provides process improvement recommendations to the General Manager, External Logistics and External Logistics Specialists and implements process improvement action plans within the External Logistics operations group.
- Conducts routine operations group analysis on functions, processes, asset utilization (IT-tools, resources, and labor) and communicates results of group analysis to the General Manager, External Logistics
- Leads operations group to be fully compliant with all safety and Hazmat rules and regulations, legal regulations, and human resource policies; ensures safety and security of associates, facility, equipment, and inventory relevant to department. Reports safety and security discrepancies to General Manager, External Logistics or External Logistics Engineer or designated personnel.
- Define, follow, improve and analyze the key performance indicators with External Logistics Specialists.
- Ensure the continuous improvement of the department and bring forward the needs to the General Manager, External Logistics.
- Bachelor Degree in Logistics or relevant degree plus 3 to 5 years work experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Travel domestically and internationally up to 20% of the time.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid driver license and passport.
- Advanced knowledge of the supply chain and its environment (regulations and logistics stakeholders).
- Computer skills: MS Office (SharePoint, Teams, Confluence, PowerPoint, Excel), Internet, ERP such as BaaN, LN or SAP R3, TMS software.
- Knowledge of international rules and specificities of each transport mode.
- Knowledge of international trade documents (e.g. INCOTERMS, letter of credit).
- Knowledge of customs rules as import and export regulations.
- Experience in transport management tools.
- Problem Solving: Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Customer Focus: Understanding and meeting the needs of customers and addressing the interests and concerns of all stakeholders.
- Creativity/Innovation: Reframing traditional patterns of thinking and applying new and evolving ideas, methods, designs and technologies.
- Professionalism: Dealing directly and forthrightly with people and problems, persisting to get the job done, and managing personal responses and stress.
- Ability to speak and write in French, German or Spanish is a plus, but not mandatory.