HIL Systems EngineerNewport News | Job ID 14794
- Job ID 14794
- Division Mining
- Organization Liebherr Mining Equipment Newport News Co.
- Area of employment Research / development
- Country United States
- Entry level Professionals
- Type of contract full time
The HIL Systems Engineer researches, develops, designs, maintains, manages and operates Hardware In Loop (HIL) systems to validate and verify mechanical, electrical, and hydraulic PLC software and associated control logic for use in large mining haul trucks.
- Develops, designs and operates HIL test system for mechanical, electrical, hydraulic, and electro-mechanical systems for use on large mining haul trucks
- Responsible for planning, managing, and optimizing the HIL test system to achieve maximum test efficiency, HIL test system uptime, and HIL test system utilization
- Responsible for creating HIL automated test cases and test protocols while maintaining HIL testing best practices
- Researches solutions to optimize system designs and parameters with analytical methods
- Performs system calculations and/or simulations to create plant models for HIL testing
- Creates schematic representations of mechanical, hydraulic, and electro mechanical systems
- Interfaces with other disciplines (Mechanical, Hydraulic, Electrical, Drive system, etc.) to create HIL specifications that define control system simulation necessary for verifying haul truck software and to specify required HIL test system components
- Estimates time and cost requirements for the development and implementation of haul truck HIL test systems
- Develops detailed test plans to initiate both component and system level testing and validation
- Works independently and as a team member with other engineers, designers, and production personnel or on ad hoc projects
- Researches and analyzes customer design proposals, specifications, manuals, and other data
- Confers with Engineers and other personnel to develop operating procedures, resolve system malfunctions, and provide technical information
- Participates in the Engineering Development Program
Bachelor’s degree (BSME, BSEE, BS Computer Engineering, BS Mechatronics Engineer) with 2 years of HIL system engineering experience in an engineering environment; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of HIL system principles, architecture and hardware solutions
- Knowledge of HIL system software tools (ex. dSPACE Control Desk, Automation Desk, and Synect)
- Knowledge of embedded systems/PLC for the purposes of facilitating tests and/or debug
- Ability to design, develop, and maintain plant models, test cases and HIL automation scripts.
- Knowledge of industrial hydraulics, mechanical and electro-mechanical systems
- Ability to mathematically model mechanical, hydraulic, and basic electrical systems
- Ability to interpret and develop detailed technical requirements and follow requirements based testing principles
- Knowledge of system modeling techniques and demonstrated experience in Matlab/Simulink Ability to create schematics depicting system operation and design
- Ability to review and post process machine data logs to develop future system operational parameters using nCode Glyphworks or similar
- Knowledge of Project Management tools (ex. Microsoft Project)
- Ability to accurately scope technical projects and develop supporting documentation
- Ability to review and interpret specifications that describe system function and logic and create verification test criteria based on these requirements
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance manuals, and procedure manuals, software specifications
- Knowledge of CAD and 3D modeling software (ex. Creo) preferred but not required
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as algebra, probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form
- Is expected to travel nationally and internationally up to 20% to customer or supplier sites.
- Ability to complete and maintain mine certifications or safety training such as Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) hazard training.
- Ability to obtain and maintain driver’s license and passport.
An interesting and ambitious role in a successful international company. We offer a secure work environment with a comprehensive benefits package and competitive salary. We hire as soon as possible.