Mechanical/Structural Engineer INewport News | Job ID 12943
- Job ID 12943
- Division Mining
- Organization Liebherr Mining Equipment Newport News Co.
- Area of employment Production
- Country United States
- Entry level Professionals
- Type of contract full time
- Date of entry As soon as possible
The Mechanical/Structural Engineer I assists in the design and development of mechanical/structural related components and systems for use on mining equipment including new designs or product improvements of a current design. The Mechanical/Structural Engineer I researches, develops, designs and tests structural components and systems for use in mining equipment. T
- Creates or works from sketches, marked prints, verbal instructions or Engineering Change Requests (ECR’s) to produce detailed drawings and/or assemblies or make revisions to existing drawings.
- Provides design input for product improvement including cost reduction.
- Works according to and complies with established departmental and company procedures.
- Participates in Engineering Development Programs.
- Researches, designs, analyzes, and specifies tests of welded structural components, steel castings, and processes.
- Confers with Engineers to investigate equipment failures and difficulties to analyze and provide technical recommendations and design changes.
- Develops Finite Element (FE) models and performs calculations to analyze and determine structural integrity, system loads, and fatigue life.
- Develops fabrication procedures and processes, testing requirements, and repair procedures to ensure that structural system components meet specifications.
- Reads and interprets blueprints, technical drawings, project specifications, field reports, test data, and FE analysis.
- Assists Design Drafters in developing the structural design of products using drafting tools or Computer-Assisted Design (CAD) or drafting equipment and software.
- Works with suppliers to obtain component information and establish component specifications.
- Specifies type and size of raw materials.
- Researches and analyzes customer design proposals, specifications, and other data to evaluate the feasibility, cost, and maintenance requirements of designs or applications.
- Works independently and as a team member with other engineers, designers, and production personnel or on ad hoc projects.
- Bachelor’s degree (BSME/MET) with four years Pro-E / Pro-E Mechanica experience and four years structural design experience; AS in engineering related discipline with four years Pro-E / Pro-E Mechanica experience and six years structural design experience; or four years Pro-E / Pro-E Mechanica experience and ten years structural design experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Applies the required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSA) in the performance of essential job duties:
- Knowledge of technical fundamentals of structural engineering and FE analysis and material properties.
- Knowledge of Pro-E, Pro-E Mechanica, drafting tools, CAD or drafting equipment and Microsoft Office software.
- Skill in planning, managing, and directing resources and managing projects.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as algebra, probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry.
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Is expected to travel nationally and internationally up to 20% to customer or supplier sites.
- Ability to complete and maintain mine certifications or safety training such as Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) hazard training.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid driver’s license and passport.
An interesting and ambitious role in a successful international company. We offer a secure work environment with a comprehensive benefits package that includes major medical, dental and vision insurance, 401K plan with company match, paid vacation and personal days and competitive salary.
Applications are only accepted via the online-portalwww.liebherr.com.