The Liebherr family business was established in 1949 by Hans Liebherr. The great success of his first mobile, easy-to-assemble and affordable tower crane was the foundation on which the company flourished. Today Liebherr is not only one of the world’s leading manufacturers of construction machinery but is also an acknowledged supplier of technically innovative user-oriented products and services in numerous other fields. The company has now grown into a Group with more than 35,000 employees in more than 130 companies across all continents.
The decentrally organized Liebherr Group is divided into company units of manageable size, operating independently. This is to ensure proximity to the customer and the ability to respond flexibly to market signals in global competition. Operative management of the production and sales companies for the individual product segments is in the hands of divisional control companies. The Group now encompasses ten product divisions. The Liebherr Group’s holding company is Liebherr-International AG in Bulle, Switzerland, which is entirely owned by members of the Liebherr family. The family business is currently being managed in the second generation by Dr. h.c. Isolde Liebherr and her brother Dr. h.c. Willi Liebherr. Sophie Albrecht, Jan Liebherr, Patricia Rüf and Stéfanie Wohlfarth have been actively involved in the management of individual divisions as representatives of the third generation since 2012 in order to help set the company’s course for the future.